St. Dominic Health Services transferring to new ownership

September 28, 2018, The Clarion Ledger, Staff- St. Dominic Health Services, after nearly three-quarters of a century in the hands of the Dominican Sisters of Springfield, Ilinois, will be in the hands of another Catholic organization next year. The sisters and the St. Dominic Health Services Board have agreed to enter into exclusive discussions to transfer the 571-bed acute care hospital in Jackson and subsidiaries programs to the Baton Rouge-based Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady Sisters. The Louisiana organization sponsors the Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady Health System, a nonprofit, mission-focused Catholic health care ministry. St. Dominic traces its history to 1946, when the Dominican Sisters of Springfield purchased the Jackson Infirmary in on Amite Street in downtown Jackson. St. Dominic Health Services Inc. is the parent company for a group of subsidiary organizations and programs that include St. Dominic Hospital, the Community Health Services Clinic, St. Dominic Medical Associates (physician network), New Directions for Over 55, MEA Clinics, The Club at St. Dominic’s, the School Nurse Program, St. Dominic’s Foundation, St. Catherine’s Village and Care-A-Van.

Click here to view the story.